Newborns have become a great little niche in the photography world. Having four newborns myself, I am feeling chipped this trend was not around for when I had my own newborns. Living in a Pinterest world, the accessibility of ideas for photography is endless. There are many poses and positions we try and we never know what each newborn will want to be molded to our poses. It’s important that people know that many of these poses are composites and the babies are being held and with the help of photoshop, we can edit out hands and assistant’s fingers. Most importantly, don’t try these poses at home, you may injure your newborn at the worst, and at the least, have a Pinterest fail on your hands. It is the patience of a newborn photographer that always wins out. Plus the props are endless and our ideas are usually worth the hours we spend trying to lull your new addition to sleep.
Steps to a successful newborn shoot…
- Schedule your newborn photographer as soon as possible.
- Plan to have your session within the first ten days of life.
- Hire a well trained and patient photographer.
- Feed the baby before your photographer arrives.
- Look at Etsy.com for some great newborn outfits, and hats.
- Let your photographer know what you envision for your session.
- Poop happens, don’t stress.
- Don’t stand over your photographer’s shoulder with your iPhone. Let them do their job. You will be glad with the outcome.
- Newborn photographers will not be watching the clock. They know babies have their own schedules.
- Relax, we got this.